Robert is a Senior Partner in Kochhar & Co. Inc. Dubai. As a Barrister, Chartered Arbitrator and Quantity Surveyor, Robert has more than 35 years of rich and diversified experience of representing clients across various geographies and industry sectors. He is a renowned dispute resolution lawyer with core specialisation in all aspects of the construction, engineering and infrastructure industries. His role includes representing parties as well as undertaking appointments as arbitrator, adjudicator, expert determiner, mediator and dispute board member.
As an arbitrator, Robert has been involved in numerous complex and high-stake cases in both the UK and internationally concerning professional negligence, property, landlord & tenant, delay analysis, costs, variations, defects, interpretation of contracts, repudiation, and many other aspects of contract in the areas of building, civil engineering, mechanical & electrical, waste water treatment and process engineering. He has most recently been joint arbitrator on a multi-million-dollar case between a joint venture contractor and national government in a dispute involving the construction of an airport runway and as a member of an ICC panel arbitration also between a joint venture and a national government involving the construction of a major road project.
In the field of UK adjudication Robert has received over 400 appointments from the CIArb, CIC, AICA, CEDR, RICS and by private appointment. The disputes referred have covered all aspects of construction including professional negligence, delay analysis, costs, defects, interpretation of contracts, repudiation and all other aspects of contract in the areas of building, civil engineering, mechanical & electrical, waste water and process engineering.
Robert’s work as an expert determiner has included final account, cost and variation disputes for projects including hospitals, office developments as well as mechanical & electrical services, civil engineering and development agreements.
In the mediation arena Robert has acted as party representative as well as Mediator in a wide range of issues including construction, professional negligence, contract, development agreements and landlord & tenant.
Robert is also qualified and trained as a dispute board member and has a thorough knowledge of the FIDIC and ICC provisions. He is a professional member of the Dispute Board Federation. Robert has been appointed by FIDIC and is able to undertake dispute board appointments throughout the world in the areas of construction, engineering, waste water and process engineering.
In deciding disputes covering large numbers of complex issues, (for example Variation Accounts involving 100s of individual items) Robert has worked closely with the parties and/or their experts so that fully functioning Scott Schedules can be used. This allows the parties to understand each decision made and the effect on the overall account/dispute.
Robert’s work as a neutral dispute resolver has taken him across the world including the Middle East (Dubai & Kuwait), the USA and Caribbean, Europe and Cyprus. He also has knowledge and experience of the contracting and dispute processes within the United Arab Emirates, Africa and the Far East (Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia).
- DipIntArb, Queen Mary College University of London
- LLB, University of Westminster
- BSc Quantity Surveying, University of Westminster
- Called to the Bar of England & Wales
- Admitted to the New York State Bar
- Robert provides training, seminars and undertakes assessments on international and domestic arbitration, mediation as well as adjudication on behalf of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators both in the UK and overseas. He is also a regular speaker at various seminars and conferences on all aspects of alternative dispute resolution.
Member (* denotes current)
- Member of the Board of Management, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators*
- Chairman Panels Management Group, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators*
- Chairman Thames Valley Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Inns of Court Disciplinary Panel
- Committee Member, Construction ARBRIX
- Chairman of Membership Committee, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators*
- Freeman, Liveryman & Court Assistant, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators*
- Member, Society of Construction Law*
- Member, Adjudication Society*