Mobile: +61 (0) 414 267 305
Academic and professional qualifications
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology
- Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Professional Certificate in Arbitration, University of Adelaide
- Graded Arbitrator and Accredited Mediator, Resolution Institute
- Registered Adjudicator (Qld)
- Arbitrator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Co-chair, Construction Specialty Group – TAGLaw (international legal network)
- Solicitor, High Court of Australia
- Solicitor, Supreme Court of Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria
- Winner - Australian ADR Awards 2019 - ADR Practitioner of the Year
- Winner - Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2019 - Litigation Partner of the Year
- Finalist - Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2019 - Construction & Infrastructure Partner of the Year, Insurance Partner of the Year and Dispute Resolution Partner of the Year
- Finalist - Australian ADR Awards 2019 - Practitioner of the Year
- Best Lawyers in Australia 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 (edns) - Construction/Infrastructure Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Insurance Law
- Finalist - Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2018 - Insurance Partner of the Year; Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2018 - Construction and Infrastructure Partner of the Year
- Leading Queensland Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2018, 2017 and 2016
- Leading Queensland Professional Indemnity Lawyer in Doyle's Guide 2016 and 2015
Patrick Mead is the Senior Construction & Engineering Insurance Partner at Carter Newell.
Patrick practices in the specialist areas of construction and engineering contract drafting, claims and commercial dispute resolution for industry participants. In this field he advised a large number of national contractors, engineers, suppliers and principals. He and his team have considerable experience in the field of building and construction law embracing all aspects of contract advice, contract drafting and contract claims involving issues of defective work, negligence, trade practices, quantum meruit, programming, delay costs, extension of time, variations and liquidated damages.
Patrick has also practiced for more than two decades in the specialist area of construction and engineering claims, acting for industry participants and underwriters. In addition to the defence of construction and engineering claims, he provides high level advice to underwriters nationally and internationally in relation to the interpretation of policy provisions, suitability of insurances and the applicability of policy exclusions, particularly those in relation to defective design and workmanship.
He has acted in a number of international disputes and arbitrations including ones governed by ICC guidelines and has been involved in international disputes in Greece, Africa and Korea. Patrick is a fellow of the Resolution Institute of Australia and is a Graded Arbitrator and Mediator through that Institute. His work in the areas of building and construction law and dispute resolution has been published nationally and internationally and he is regularly invited to speak at industry related seminars.
- Fellow, Resolution Institute of Australia.
- Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA).
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society (Victorian Chapter).
- Society of Construction Law (Australia).
- Engineering Discussion Group (New South Wales).